Although the current temperatures in the eastern U.S. may seem unusually cold, in the context of our history...
Dr. Michael E. Mann is a member of the Penn State University faculty, holding joint positions in the Departments of Meteorology and Geosciences, and the Earth and Environmental Systems Institute (EESI). He is also director of the Penn State Earth System Science Center (ESSC).
Dr. Mann received his undergraduate degrees in Physics and Applied Math from the University of California at Berkeley, an M.S. degree in Physics from Yale University, and a Ph.D. in Geology & Geophysics from Yale University. His research involves the use of theoretical models and observational data to better understand Earth's climate system.
Dr. Mann was a Lead Author on the Observed Climate Variability and Change chapter of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Third Scientific Assessment Report in 2001 and was organizing committee chair for the National Academy of Sciences Frontiers of Science in 2003. He has received a number of honors and awards including NOAA's outstanding publication award in 2002 and selection by Scientific American as one of the fifty leading visionaries in science and technology in 2002. He contributed, with other IPCC authors, to the award of the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize. He was awarded the Hans Oeschger Medal of the European Geosciences Union in 2012. He is a Fellow of both the American Geophysical Union and the American Meteorological Society.
Dr. Mann is author of more than 150 peer-reviewed and edited publications, and has published two books including Dire Predictions: Understanding Global Warming in 2008 and The Hockey Stick and the Climate Wars: Dispatches from the Front Lines in 2012. He is also a co-founder and avid contributor to the award-winning science website RealClimate.org.
It is with a heavy heart and a respectful hand that I write this. Super Typhoon Haiyan has...
The article compares current rates of ocean warming with long-term paleoclimatic evidence from ocean sediments...
- USDA to Allow Chickens From U.S. to Be Shipped to China for Processing and Back to U.S. for Consumption, Just Like Seafood
- Sea World Responds to Blackfish Documentary, Sea Shepherd Sets the Record Straight
- Man Risks Arrest Blocking Road That Leads Yellowstone Bison to Slaughter
- Prescott College Passes Landmark Fossil Fuel Divestment Resolution
- Renowned NYU Professor: GMOs Could Literally Destroy the Planet
- Breaking: 400 Youths Arrested at White House Protesting Keystone XL Pipeline
- 5 Reasons Monsanto’s ‘Science’ Doesn’t Add Up
- Illinois Powers 91 Communities With 100 Percent Clean Energy
- Pipeline Approved to Bring Tar Sands to Montreal and New England's Doorstep
- MSNBC’s Ed Schultz: 'I Was Wrong,' Don't Build Keystone XL Pipeline